Friday, April 18, 2014

Macros and Invasives in the Hudson Valley

Invasives
To introduce invasive species, I had a ton of fantastic images of invasive commonly found in this area and the Hudson, which I projected on the board. Some I collected on my own, other were great diagrams from the Cary Institute.
I also had my string of water chestnuts for the kids to see and touch. Since there is a beach on the river nearby, many were able to identify these as cowheads or the pointy things that hurt! 

Macroinvertebrates 
I collected a bunch of macros from the Esopus Creek. Really didn't find too much, a ton of scuds and a few snails and a water beetle. Plus some spiders, green algae, muck, and plants from near the water.

I set up petri dishes and several MacroLens and the kids had a field day looking at them. Putting down a white cloth on the table helps see them better. I also had ID books and other stream ecology visuals for them to look at.We took a look at some of the organisms under the microscope as well!





No comments:

Post a Comment